Saturday, July 24, 2010

Denim Scripture Tote Bag

I made a few of these last Fall and one of my friends that ordered one for her daughter last year placed an order recently for one for her niece.  She wanted pink so I took over a stack of pink fabric that I had and she picked this Hawaiian print.  It’s leftover from a quilt my mom made me a while back.  I bought this fabric to go on the back of the quilt and also to be used between the blocks to frame them.  Since I made up the pattern it took me a bit to remember how to make one but I’m really pleased with how it turned out.  I had a bit of a problem sewing the lining and the outside of the bag together since the fabric is such different weights but I got out my walking foot and that made it a breeze.  It really saved the day.IMG_4423As you can see it holds a quad nicely.


Little pocket on the front for keys, etc…

IMG_4425 On each side of the lining there is a big pocket that can fit a YW book, Faith in God book or a pocket size hymnal.

Friday, July 16, 2010

Rustic Orange T-shirt

I spied this T-shirt at the thrift store the other day and had to get it.  I just fell in love with the color.

IMG_4347I couldn’t wait to crochet it up into this:

IMG_4354As usual, I used the hem of the t-shirt to make the rosette.  I think the white stitching gives it some nice detail.

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Black Paisley Headband

I was sifting through some old clothes the other day and came across an old favorite from Benneton.  I instantly knew that I needed to make a headband from it. 

IMG_4372 I cut off the hem from the waist to make a rosette and then I cut a strip to wrap around the headband to cover it.  So cute!  I love it!

IMG_4373 This is what is left from the t-shirt.   It’s very big and boxy.  Funny how when I was smaller I actually wore bigger clothes.  Not sure what I’ll do with it now.  Either keep cutting it up for projects or alter it so that it’s wearable.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Twenty is better than one!

A few months ago I was asked to come up with an idea for a matching hair accessory for the girls for the Primary Program in Sept. The boys will all have matching ties but we weren’t sure what to do for the girls. I wanted to incorporate a fabric rosette. At first I was thinking about making hairclips but figured out that those might not work for everyone depending on their hairstyle and the thickness of their hair. Finally I realized that headbands were the way to go. Not only are the hugely popular right now but they would fit everyone from 4 – 12 years of age and it wouldn’t matter what hairstyle they had. After making an initial prototype and getting it approved by the Primary Presidency I made all 20 that we think we’ll need. It’s nice to have completed a project early and not have to worry about getting it done last minute.