Friday, May 27, 2011
Thursday, May 26, 2011
Wednesday, May 25, 2011
Tuesday, May 24, 2011
Monday, May 23, 2011
Saturday, May 21, 2011
Friday, May 20, 2011
Thursday, May 19, 2011
Wednesday, May 18, 2011
Trying to put together a boutique next month as part of a local celebration. In preparation I’m replenishing my inventory. I had 10 metal headbands that I hadn’t added flowers to yet so I went through my fabric and whipped up some this afternoon. These pictures do not do them justice. They are so cute. I was thinking they would be a fun party favor for a little girls birthday party. If you need some let me know!
Tuesday, May 17, 2011
Yesterday, I grabbed plain, black tshirt to wear as a workout shirt before I headed out to use the treadmill. The tshirt had a really high neck that was constricting and awkwardly long short sleeves. I'd picked it up at the 99 cent store intending to spruce it up a bit but hadn't done anything yet. I immediately cut off the neckline and the hems at the bottom of the shirt and the sleeves. It felt better already but I didn't want these pieces to go to waste so I made them into rosettes as shown below:
I'm glad I finally took the time to redo this tshirt into something wearable. It's going to be a great workout shirt. Most tshirt refashions that I've seen combine two shirts so I really like this project that I used the scraps in new ways and only used one shirt.
I really miss having a 99 cent store close.
Friday, May 13, 2011
Tuesday, May 10, 2011
Thursday, May 5, 2011
So this is the project I was working on last week at my parent’s house. I spotted them at the quilt show we happened across in St. George on our drive from SLC to LA two weeks ago. When I showed them to my mom she told me she already had a couple of them.
These two bags my mom won as door prizes at a quilt retreat she attended in March. The ladybug bag holds a pill box. The other one is quilted. Each uses two different fabrics since the lining fabric folds over to the outside for the casing at the top.
This is my version. I used two leftover quilt blocks (one for the outside and the other for the lining) and then I used some leftover quilt binding for the casing and to make the prairie point.
The secret? The casing at the top holds two pieces of metal measuring tape. You pull on the prairie points to open the bag and then “snap” it back together to close it.
I think they are a brilliant little invention and the fun thing is you can make them any size you want. I got a measuring tape to cut up from the dollar store and used tin snips to cut to length.
I’m thinking this would make a great class.
The only problem is that I was limited to one carryon suitcase on my trip back and I left my fabric and measuring tape behind. I should’ve left my clothes and brought the craft supplies instead! I’ll have to have my parents send me a box. : )
I’m lucky that my mom saves me her quilting scraps so I can make rosettes and other projects with them. She even brought me a quilt a couple weeks ago when my parents drove up here to pick me up. Maybe I’ll post a picture of it tomorrow.
Wednesday, May 4, 2011
After looking at several dollar type stores and finding out that the shelf liner they carried is now mesh so it wouldn't work, I found this grid shelf liner at Wal-Mart. The roll was 20" wide by 4' long. I cut the squares 5". After doing a sc all the way around, for the second row I did a sc, chain 3, skip a stitch and then another sc.