Wednesday, October 24, 2012
Paperback Book Pumpkin
These pumpkins were all over blogland last year and I thought they were so cute but didn't make any until this past weekend. We rented The Avengers and since I had some time to kill I thought this would be the perfect project to work on. For New Year's Eve last year we had a white elephant gift exchange. My husband ended up with a box of books that included two trashy romance books that were a bit beat up. As soon as I saw them I knew they'd be great for this project since neither one of us would read them. I put them aside and have been saving them ever since.
Directions: (sorry I didn't take pics along the way and I gave away three of the pumpkins last night so I only had the one left to take a pic of.)
1. Make your template. I cut a piece of paper half the size of the book and then cut it to look like a pumpkin shape.
2. Rip the covers off the book.
3. Trace your template on the page twice (once on the top of the page and once on the bottom of the page. I ended up making two pumpkins out of each book)
4. Cut your shape out. You can either just keep using the previously cut pages as a guide to cut more pages or keep tracing your template and cut out about six pages at a time. I just kept cutting and cutting and my pages kept getting more and more wonky till they didn't match by the time I made it all the way around the book so it's probably best to trace the template every once in a while to keep your shape consistent.
5. After you've cut out all your pages glue the first and last pages together with a glue stick and start fanning out your pages.
6. Use an orange marker to color the outside edge of your pages.
7. Find a stick in your yard and break it to the right length and then hot glue it in place.
8. Raid your ribbon stash for a green ribbon and tie it around your stem and you're done!
9. Give the extra pumpkins away for presents.
10. Keep one for yourself to enjoy!
<a href="http://lilluna.com" title="Lil\'Luna"><img src="http://lilluna.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/lilluna_linking_up.jpg" alt="Lil\'Luna" title="Lil\'Luna" style="border:none;" /></a>