Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Baseball Hand Towels

One reason I've been sewing so much lately is that on my last trip home a couple weeks ago my mom gave me a sewing machine! It's a Janome Quilter's Companion 4800. She of course has many sewing machines since she sews daily and had upgraded a couple of years ago. This one was just collecting dust in my old bedroom that is now stuff full of fabric. It's been so much fun to play with. I'm sure it'll take me a while to discover all the amazing things it can do.

We were given 3 black handtowels for the wedding that we hadn't used yet and I couldn't figure out exactly what to do with. I'd thought of stitching some sort of ribbon across them since I'd never tried that before but thought it would be cute. I hadn't come across anything that caught my eye though. Well on my last trip home I was over at my brother's house and I knew exaclty what I needed to do. My nephew's bathroom is black and white and has a baseball picture hanging on the wall. I knew exactly where these handtowels needed to be. I searched JoAnns, Michaels and Hobby Lobby but didn't find the ribbon I was looking for. Finally I happened to look at Wal-Mart and found the exact ribbon I needed. It's 7/8" wide and came on a spool of 3 yards for $2.97. At a dollar a yard it wasn't the best deal but was exactly what I was searching for. I threaded up some black thread, attached the walking foot and stitched a length of ribbon along one side of each towel. They turned out so cute. I wrapped them up and will present them to my nephews next time I see them. I'm sure they'll be thrilled!

No comments:

Post a Comment