Thursday, May 5, 2011

Snap Bags

So this is the project I was working on last week at my parent’s house.  I spotted them at the quilt show we happened across in St. George on our drive from SLC to LA two weeks ago.  When I showed them to my mom she told me she already had a couple of them.

IMG_5810

These two bags my mom won as door prizes at a quilt retreat she attended in March.  The ladybug bag holds a pill box.  The other one is quilted.  Each uses two different fabrics since the lining fabric folds over to the outside for the casing at the top.

IMG_5811

This is my version.  I used two leftover quilt blocks (one for the outside and the other for the lining) and then I used some leftover quilt binding for the casing and to make the prairie point.

The secret?  The casing at the top holds two pieces of metal measuring tape.  You pull on the prairie points to open the bag and then “snap” it back together to close it.

I think they are a brilliant little invention and the fun thing is you can make them any size you want.  I got a measuring tape to cut up from the dollar store and used tin snips to cut to length.

I’m thinking this would make a great class.

The only problem is that I was limited to one carryon suitcase on my trip back and I left my fabric and measuring tape behind.  I should’ve left my clothes and brought the craft supplies instead!  I’ll have to have my parents send me a box. : )

I’m lucky that my mom saves me her quilting scraps so I can make rosettes and other projects with them.  She even brought me a quilt a couple weeks ago when my parents drove up here to pick me up.  Maybe I’ll post a picture of it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment