Friday, March 26, 2010

Eco Friendly Wool Dryer Balls

I'm running low on dryer sheets and was contemplating alternatives to purchasing another box. When I took care of my friend Jessica in NYC in January I noticed she had reuseable plastic dryer balls and was intrigued with this solution. They seemed to work well and she said they lasted a long time so I thought that might be the way to go but wasn't completely convinced. Then I noticed some etsy listings for reusable dryer sachets that are like beanbags made from recycled tshirts and are filled with herbs like lavender and are reusable. That sounded like a step in the right direction. And then this past weekend the answer was given to me. My aunt clipped out a newspaper article from the Salt Lake Tribune that pointed out concerns about the chemicals that dryer sheets and even these reusable dryer balls end up leaving on our clothes. The author recommended using wool dryer balls. She said they last for years, absorb static cling and prevent the waxy buildup in your dryer and on your clothes. While I was out yesterday I stopped at Joann's and purchased a skein of wool yarn with my 40% off coupon. I was able to make 4 balls from the yarn and they are currently in the dryer with the sheets for their first load. I can't wait to see how they work. I took lots of pics along the way and am contemplating writing up an in depth ehow article on them since the current articles are vague and don't include pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment