Saturday, March 27, 2010

Upcycled Tshirt

Before - my old Gap tshirt had seen better days

During - I started out cutting a 1" spiral. Once I got up to the sleeves I just cut strips and then pieced them together.

After - Upcycled into this versatile container. The sides really are straight. I'm not sure why they look all wonky in this picture.

A week or so ago I came across this old tshirt of mine that had been packed away for a pretty long time. Obviously it wasn't fit to be worn anymore so lastnight I started cutting it in a 1" spiral to get it ready to be crocheted. Today I started crocheting intending to make coasters or a trivet or something like that but then I ended up making this cylinder instead. It would make a great pencil cup or you could put a glass jar in it and use it for a vase. For the picture I threw some of my crochet hooks in it. It is 3 1/2" across and 6" high. I'd been wanting to try this for a while now and really liked it. I already have a couple more tshirts set aside to make some more. I can't wait to make another one.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Stacey! You're the winner of the Mary Poppins Presents Giveaway! Congratulations! Could you contact us with your e-mail! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really clever idea! I wonder, would it work as a water bottle "cozy"? You know, where you put a water bottle in it and it catches the condensation? I might have to see if I've got some old t-shirts to try this and see.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeanne - Good idea! My husband had a 20 oz Sport Drink sitting here and it fit perfectly. I used a size "P" hook. Here's the pattern: chain 4, join. chain 1, sc 7 in loop, join, chain 1 sc twice in each stitch = 14 sc. chain 1 alternate sc twice then once in each stitch around = 21 sc. chain 1 sc in each stitch once in back loops only = 21 sc. for the remaining rows - chain 1 sc once in each stitch around. I ended up with 9 additional rows on the sides.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is awesome! congrats on winning my giveaway! I have 2 damask headbands for you to choose from, I will bring them to church today!

    ReplyDelete