Tuesday, December 13, 2011

{Tutorial Tuesday} - Christmas Argyle Wreath


When these yarn wreaths starting appearing everywhere a while back I knew I wanted to make one but it took me a while to decide on a color scheme. Since I had tons of green yarn I decided a Christmas wreath would be perfect.

Sorry I don't have step by step pictures but I'll explain what I did and you should be able to follow along without any problems.

Materials needed:
Straw wreath (keep the plastic covering on)
yarn
felt
scissors
straight pins (with plain silver heads)

Directions

1. Start a movie.
2. Pin one end of yarn to the back of the wreath and start wrapping the yarn around the wreath keeping the yarn as close together as possible.
3. Put on another movie.
4. Wrap a second layer of yarn around the wreath filling in any gaps. (Repeat a 3rd time if necessary.)
(I'm not kidding about the movies by the way. It seriously took many hours to wrap the yarn around the wreath. Now I know why people charge so much for them!)
5. Cut your felt into 2 1/2" squares.
6. Place white squares around wreath equally spaced. Pin top and bottoms of squares.
7. Place red squares around wreath overlapping the white squares. Pin top and bottom of red squares.
8. Pin sides of squares where they overlap.
9. Pin end of black yarn onto back of wreath. Wrap yarn around wreath crossing over squares on an angle. Once you get to the end of the squares, go back and cross over squares going the other way to form the pattern.
10. Hang up your wreath and enjoy!

I toyed around with the idea of adding felt flowers to the wreath but didn't want them competing with the argyle pattern. Growing up in the 80s makes me a bit partial to argyle! If you've been thinking about making one of these wreaths I hope these instructions will be useful to you.

Happy Holiday Decorating!

No comments:

Post a Comment