Tuesday, May 22, 2012

{Tutorial Tuesday} - Carseat Canopy


I finally finished this up last Monday.  It was a long time in the making.  I started cutting it out in February, then my mom and I both sewed on it while she was here when I had the baby in March and I just sewed the straps on last week.  It's so handy I wish I would've completed it sooner.  I've gotten lots of compliments on it.  If you would like me to make one for you let me know or make your own by following these simple steps:

1.  prewash and iron your fabrics.
2.  cut two 1 yard pieces
3.  pin them right sides together
4.  use a plate to round off all four corners
5.  sew around leaving an opening for turning.
6.  turn and press.
7.  topstitch all the way around
8.  make some straps out of scrap fabric or you can use ribbon, etc...  I used buttons on my straps but you can use velcro if you'd like.

Variation:  Piece together a couple of different fabrics to form the top.  Just make sure to add in a seam allowance to make sure you end up with a piece the right size.  I also sewed decorative ric rac across the seam to fancy it up a bit.

It's great to keep the sun off your baby as they're riding in the backseat and also to keep then wind off them while you are getting them in and out of the car and also discourages people from touching your baby as you are shopping at Wal-Mart!  haha!  Lots of uses!

No comments:

Post a Comment